The Klaus & Jean Timmerhaus Award will be presented to the recipient prior to the plenary session on Friday, July 23, 2021.
The 2021 CEC Klaus & Jean Timmerhaus Scholarship Award Recipient is:
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI
The 2021 recipient of the Klaus and Jean Timmerhaus Scholarship, Jonathon Howard, is a third-year graduate student at Michigan State University (MSU), pursuing his PhD in mechanical engineering. He performs his research through the MSU Cryogenic Initiative at the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (FRIB), a U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science scientific user facility, where he is investigating the high-efficiency and reliable wide-range operation of 2 K helium cryogenic systems. Jonathon expects to complete his studies in 2023.
This prestigious scholarship award was developed to assist graduate students at American universities who are engaged in the various fields of cryogenic engineering. The award will be in the amount of $2,500 for a single year. If the applicant is still in grad school for the following year, a renewal is possible pending acceptable grades and research progress.
The goal of this graduate scholarship is to “develop and foster increased interest and participation in fields of cryogenic study and to encourage future engineers and scientists in these areas.”
The award will be paid directly to the student’s college/university and can only be used to cover the cost of educational expenses. As a condition of the award, the student must sign an award agreement that describes the requirements and responsibilities of the student.
To be eligible for an award, applicants:
- Will be enrolled during the time of the award, in an accredited U.S. college or university as a full-time, graduate degree-seeking student.
- Will follow a course of study or major field leading to a graduate degree in an engineering or scientific discipline that encompasses a field of study or research relevant to cryogenic engineering/technology.
- Have attained a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 on a 4.00 scale (unweighted) at the time of nomination.
- Must maintain satisfactory academic progress during the period of the scholarship award to be eligible for a renewal.
To apply for this award, please complete the online Application Form by May 31, 2021.
You will need to provide the following:
- Contact information
- References (2 required)
- Potential/current Advisor information
- Proposed research intended
- Professional experience